Monday, June 7, 2010

Learning Python The Hard Way

Over the weekend, I finished working through Learning Python the Hard Way by the outspoken Zed Shaw. His eventual goal for the book is to cover 52 exercises in all, and so far the first 26 are compiled together in a pdf and cover just input/output, variables, and functions. Hopefully the next 26 will be published soon, although those who can't wait can read what he has written online (currently at Lesson 38).

I really enjoyed this book and thought it had a great combination of good examples and good writing. For example:
"""Every programming language has some kind of way of doing numbers and math. Don’t worry, programmers lie frequently about being math geniuses when they really aren’t. If they were math geniuses, they would be doing math not writing ads and social network games to steal people’s money."""

The code itself is good, although I did find myself tweaking it a bit to fit my style (or what I think it should look like). For example, he frequently passes multiple variables to argv and its evident that this is causing issues with some (and yes that is me commenting). However as a whole I am enjoying it and looking forward to the second half being printed.

No comments:

Post a Comment